The link you followed has expired. Please try again – In WordPress. How to solve this issue. There are three methods for solving this issue.
Method 1 to solve this issue – The link you followed has expired. Please try again
[note] Method 1 [/note]
if you have hosted your website in shared hosting, or if you are getting this error when you want to upload themes or plugins in WordPress, then you can try 1 method for solving this issue.
- First Go to on your Cpanel, Just put username & password and log-in into Cpanel. Username or password is nothing but, it is provided by your hosting provider. You can check username or password on your own email account.
- When you get logged-in on your c panel, it looks like this. Simply see under the software section, there is an option -“Select PHP Version”.Simply click on it.
- Now Here Change current PHP version to 7.1. Here you will see that my current PHP version is 5.4, so I will change to 7.3. You need to just click on set as current after changing & then click on the switch on PHP version, as can you see in the picture. change max_execution_time up to the maximum as per your mind. Change post max size up to maximum. Then click on the apply button. Now again change Upload_max_file_size to up maximum. Then click on the apply button. At last, don’t forget to click on save button.
- Now Everything is done, Now you can upload your theme or plugin, no error will come after doing these all settings.
Method 2 to solve this issue – The link you followed has expired. Please try again
[note] Method 2 [/note]
if you are hosted your website in VPS server, then you can try our 2 Method for solving this issue. You can easily solve this issue by simply following our guide.
- First, Download & install FileZilla software from Google, then open it, at the top, write all the details, like IP address, username, password, port. Simply you can copy your IP address from hosting provider dashboard & paste it here. The default username is – “root” and type 22 port because the default port is – “22”.Now after filling all details, click on quick connect and then click on ok button.
- Now after successful login into Fizilla software, go to this path -/etc/php/7.2/apache2.Right click on PHP.ini & click on Download to download the php.ini.
- Open downloaded PHP.ini with the help of PHP editor. if you haven’t PHP editor software on your pc, you can simply download from Google.Edit the PHP.ini file and change the value of these things.
post_max_size = 750M
upload_max_filesize = 750M
max_execution_time = 5000
max_input_time = 5000
memory_limit = 1000M
After changing these all setting , don’t forgot to save file.You can also set max upload size limit as per your choice.
- Now come to Filezilla, browser the location of PHP.ini file which you edited recently, then right click on PHP.ini and click on upload & must click on the ok button to overwrite the file.
- All done, Now the last step which you have to do. You need to restart your VPS server, Don’t forget to restart your VPS server because it is a very very important part of this method. If you are using the digital ocean VPS server, you can simply open the console of that IP then paste this code and press enter – ” service apache2 restart “.
- Now you can upload your Themes or plugins in WordPress without facing this error – The link you followed has expired. Please try again.
Method 3 to solve this issue – The link you followed has expired. Please try again – WordPress theme installation
[note] Method 3 [easiest method] [/note]
It is the easiest method for solving this error – “The link you followed has expired. Please try again” If you are facing this error when you going to install WordPress theme or plugin.
- First Install & activate, a simple plugin called – Increase Max Upload Filesize.You can easily find this plugin by putting this keyword on search bar –Increase Max Upload Filesize.
- Now go to the setting of this plugin – Upload max File size. Then paste any values like this – 5368709120 bytes and click on save changes.
- 5,368,709,120 – Means max 5 GB of data you can upload in your website at one time. You can also change the max upload size as per your choice. Now it is a temporary method but well good. when you deactivate this plugin, then you can’t upload max 5 GB data at one time.
Conclusion – By these 3 Methods, you can solve this error if you are facing this error in WordPress while uploading themes or plugins which has a larger size. Mainly this error caused by – due to limited upload size setting. Default max file upload size is approx 16 MB or 2 MB, so you need more max file upload limit in order to upload larger files inside WordPress.